6.03.2010

what do you think?

If you read this post, you know that I won an e-design from a local designer, Erica Harless. I was super pumped when I won. Winning is so great, isn't it? There's just something exciting about winning.

First, I had to fill out Erica's questionnaire. She, of course, needed to know lots of specifics about the space as well as my personal style and design preferences. She then took that information and created a design, just for me.

You can read her entire post here.

It really was a fantastic process. I sent pictures, measurements, and details about my style, and she sent me back a design. I love it. And she's a great artist. Check out this picture she drew of her idea for the keeping room.

Here's a drawing of the breakfast room and keeping room. The numbers refer to specific elements that are numbered on the next picture.

And here's the e-design board (numbers coordinate with drawing).

She wants to unify the two rooms by incorporating black furniture into the breakfast room (the office furniture is black). She chose a beautiful floral fabric for the curtains and wants me to pull out yellow as an accent color (for a lamp in the breakfast room and a framed print in the keeping room). She recommends a board and batten treatment on the walls. I love that idea. We did board and batten in Layla's nursery, and it's fantastic. Last, but not least, she suggests incorporating a little seating area into the keeping room, using the file cabinet as a "table" between two chairs. How GENIUS is that?? It's by far my favorite suggestion. I never would have thought of it.

The next step? Well, that's the catch. We really weren't planning to spend any money on this particular area of the house, so I don't know when we'll be able to get started. We did "rearrange" the office furniture today to somewhat resemble the drawing. I like it better already. Erica really knows her stuff!

If you're looking to redecorate, I definitely recommend Erica and her e-design process. It's very non-intrusive. You can send her the information and photos when you have time. When she finishes your design, you can then take her ideas and implement them if/when you have the time and money. It's very low stress and can be as affordable as you'd like. You are in control of the entire project. If you're a control freak like me, you will really appreciate this process.

I'll be sure to post updates as we, slowly but surely, implement Erica's suggestions. I think the very next thing I have to do is clean off my desk. Now that it's on the big wall, the disarray is quite obvious. Yikes!

I'd love to hear your input too, so leave a comment if you have particular thoughts about the design. Any ideas where I can find "cheap" fabric for curtains?

2 comments:

  1. wow. I love that plan! It will look awesome in your space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this post! A little late...I know! Thanks for all the kind words! You were great to work with and I cannot wait to see this room design unfold over time! Keep me updated :)

    ReplyDelete