8.16.2010

A Long but Unforgettable Weekend

I say weekend, but really it was more like a week and a half that culminated in a long but unforgettable weekend.

If you read this post, you know one of our best friend's dad found himself (quite suddenly) on a ventilator, with no sedation and no respiratory function, basically brain dead. After I posted, the family had to wait another 24 hours before the neurologist confirmed what they had been suspecting. Best case scenario, if the brain bleed resolved and respiratory function returned, there would still be no quality of life. No walking. No talking.

The family made a tough decision but one they were certain was the right one. They removed life support on Tuesday, August 10, at 2pm. We all prayed and prayed that it would be a smooth and quick process, and the Lord answered our prayers. He had mercy on Dr. David Hoover, and took him home quickly and peacefully.

Derrick and I knew right away that we wanted to be there in person to support our friends. I think both of us wished we would've rode with them when they left that Friday morning at 2am, headed to Ohio, not knowing what they were in store for. That probably wouldn't have been appropriate, but it was so hard seeing them go through such a tough time, being so far away. I just wanted to be there to help with the kids, cook, clean, hug, listen, and do all the other things you want to do for people when they're going through something of this magnitude. But, I have two kids of my own to take care of, and for this phase of my life, it just isn't feasible for me to be gone for an extended amount of time. So I stayed here in Georgia, praying, texting, and talking as they needed.

The cool thing is that I did have an opportunity to attend the memorial. A group of people from our church left Friday morning at 9am, headed for Ohio. Road trip!! It was a 9 hour drive that took 10 hours to get there and somehow took 12 hours to get home. It was worth every minute though, and really, it was a blast. I felt like I was in youth group again! Talking for hours upon hours in the car. Telling funny stories. Getting to know each other better. Then, most importantly, supporting and serving our sweet friends and their family as they said goodbye to a beloved father, husband, brother, grandfather, and friend. From what I hear, the service was beautiful. (I stayed inside watching the kids, which turned out to be a good job, because it was HOT. Even in Ohio.) It was truly an honor and privilege to be there for such an important moment in our friends' lives.

Seth's parent's farm house, where they held the memorial service.

It was at their family farm in South Solon, Ohio. It is BEAUTIFUL up there. I don't think I've ever seen such beautiful farm land. I really should've taken more pictures, but I was too busy talking and having a good time. We also drove through beautiful places in Kentucky. Lots of our friends at Momentum are from Kentucky, so it was great to see what they've been talking about for the past 3 years. It definitely is beautiful, and I think we barely got a taste of it.

Speaking of taste. We also got to experience something else I've been hearing about for years. Skyline chili. Did you know that people in Kentucky eat their chili on top of spaghetti, and they eat it with a fork? Very interesting. We tried it, and it was GOOD. Derrick and I split a four way, which is skyline talk for spaghetti noodles with chili, beans, and TONS of shredded cheese on top. It was delicious.

We got home at 1:45am Sunday morning, so it was a short trip with a lot of driving, but it was awesome. It meant so much to be there for our friends...to be able to hug their necks and deliver our condolences in person. I think it meant a lot to them too. It's a trip I'll never forget. If you ever get the chance to road trip with some of your good friends, even if it's just for a short trip, do it. Special bonds are built when you're in the car with people, driving across the country. There's nothin' like it.

Oh, and to wrap up the weekend, three people that I love were baptized yesterday. What a great way to end a long but unforgettable weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment