9.01.2011

September Memory Verse

September 1st. Can you believe it? Two thirds of the year are finished. Fall is just around the corner. College football starts tonight. I have to admit that part of me is always a little sad to see summer go, but I do love fall. The crisp cool mornings that warm into respectable afternoons. The beautiful shades of orange, yellow, and red. Our annual trip to the mountains. Candy corn on the shelves. Let's be honest, candy corn is by far the highlight of fall. Right? I'm really going to have to watch it this year, because I'm still trying to lose my babies weight (yep, weight from all three babies), but I'm sure I will indulge in some candy corn. Pretty soon, if I have anything to say about it.

With fall coming so soon, I thought it would be a great time to memorize this verse:

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NIV, 1984)

Let's read the verse in context, because the next bit of the passage is so good:
1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: 2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, 3 a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, 6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, 7 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, 8 a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace. 9 What does the worker gain from his toil? 10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God.
This passage, to me, represents a promise that God is in control. Everything has its season. It's God-appointed season. In the midst of weeping, killing, and giving up, God is in control. In the high times, the laughing, dancing, embracing, and peaceful times - God is in control. He has appointed a time for everything and a season for every activity.

I also love verses 12 and 13. There is nothing better than for us to be happy and do good while we live...to eat and drink and find satisfaction in our lives is the gift of God. This tells me it is God's gift to find pleasure in the blessings of life. The sunsets, the breezes, the mountain views. The squeals and giggles of delighted little girls. The cooes from my sweet baby boy. Holding my husband's hand. Even the delicious food the Lord has given us to eat. Finding satisfaction in these things are a gift from God. Please, Lord, remind me of this. Too often I allow the enemy to rob me of this gift by tempting me to be unhappy, ungrateful, or even feeling guilty for the blessings I have been given.

I pray that in memorizing this verse, you are able to connect it to a particular truth that you need to be reminded of.

 And now...the song that plays in my head every time I think of our memory verse...

No comments:

Post a Comment