8.18.2009

disturbed

I was just watching The View, and they interviewed an author named Sharlene Azam, who has published a documentary called "Oral Sex is the New Goodnight Kiss". It's about young girls (as young as 11) who view oral sex as less intimate than a kiss or holding hands. Lots of these girls are performing oral sex for a form of payment, be it money, math homework, designer clothes, or other things they want. The author says this is a rampant problem in suburbia and that these girls are from middle class families. These girls live next door to us.

Being the mother of two girls, I can't help but wonder what it's going to be when my girls are in middle school and high school. We know that sin will always be present in our world, but it definitely seems to be getting worse and worse. When I was in middle school, I knew some pretty fast girls, but I didn't know any who would've given oral sex in exchange for payment.

Father, I pray that you will put a claim on my girls' lives and keep them as your own. I pray that you will give me the wisdom and discipline to raise them into young women who love you and themselves. I pray that your love and our love will be enough to keep them from seeking love and acceptance in such dangerous places. And Father, I pray that when they do make monumental mistakes, that you will allow them to be caught, and teach me how to discipline through it with love and grace. And for these girls who are currently caught up in such dangerous and sinful behavior, may someone bring your Truth and Love to them. Amen.

1 comment: