4.20.2010

New York, New York

Start spreading the news. Does anyone else get that song in their head every time they think of New York, New York? Or is that just me?

Derrick and I went to New York for our 5 year anniversary. We chose that particular location for several reasons: he proposed to me there, we have good friends there, we love it, and most importantly, we love it. We thought a lot about the cost, weighed it out and considered driving somewhere to save $ on flights, and wound up deciding to go on to NYC. It was where Derrick really wanted to go, and since he rarely really wants to go somewhere, we went.

We had so much fun. We've both been there several times, so we didn't do any of the usual tourist attractions. We walked through the park, ate way too much, shopped a lot, slept in, and just enjoyed spending time with each other. We spent two nights in the city and then stayed with my high school / college best friend the third night. There's so much to do that I could easily stay there for a week (and that doesn't include seeing many of the tourist attractions that I'd like to see again), but realistically, three nights away from the kids was enough. We owe a big thanks to my mom (and several sitters) for taking care of them while we were gone.

And now...some of my favorite pictures from the trip:

Standing in the spot (in Central Park) where Derrick proposed in 2004.


The carousel in Central Park. I couldn't tell if it is still operative, but it's one of those things I've always wanted to see in action. Haven't you?


A "new" sign in Times Square. God is... This is a sign for Times Square Church, which I was just so thrilled to see. Imagine the number of people who see this sign every day. We wanted to go and pray with the people @ the church, but the doors were closed. I'm just pumped to see that God is...present in this most wonderful place. I knew He was, but now it's obvious.


A fantastic deli in Times Square. We ate here after Derrick proposed, because we'd missed our reservation @ Tavern on the Green (because we missed our flight, thanks to Derrick). We liked it so much that we went back this trip. We split (the biggest) BLT, an order of fries, and we each had a slice of cheesecake. Yum.


A sidewalk garden in Chinatown. Seriously, if they can grow plants on the street in Chinatown, surely I can grow plants in my lovely back yard.


Elizabeth Street in Chinatown.


Times Square. There's absolutely nothing like it.


The ceiling at John's Pizzeria. They say it used to be a cathedral, and now it's a brick oven pizza restaurant. It was so beautiful inside, and the pizza was great and only $15. Nice.


The tallest tulips I've ever seen. These are in front of The Plaza. I always go to FAO Schwarz when I'm in town, and it's right across the street from these.


A self portrait, on the train to see good friends in Jersey.

It was kind of rainy while we were there, so I didn't take as many pictures as I probably would have if the weather had been nicer. A few things we did that are not pictured here: went to a comedy club, ate way too much with good friends at Tony's di Napoli, shopped on 5th Avenue, shopped in SoHo (one of my favorite stores was Sur la Table - loved it!), and my favorite - went to The Market NYC. It's a market in SoHo where up and coming designers can rent a booth for a day. It's only open on the weekends. I bought a couple of headbands for $25 (each would retail for that or more) and then...I came upon the booth. Gorgeous necklaces. Most had cameos, incorporated with vintage chandelier crystals and lots of chains. Think chunky and very chic. The girl working the booth started telling me about the brand. It's called Eda & Betty, and apparently, the necklaces sell at Nordstrom for $200-$600. They've been featured in magazines, and several stars wear them. You know that got my attention. (Why is that?) Truthfully, I already liked them, because I like cameos, but when she started telling me the necklaces were selling for 70% less than retail, I had to have one. So...my favorite purchase is a beautiful Eda & Betty Heirloom Couture necklace. When I wear it, I'll make sure to post a picture. I'm afraid I wouldn't do it justice if I took a picture tonight, in my work out clothes. Yuck. So stay tuned to see my new favorite necklace. Happy Anniversary to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment