9.13.2011

Couch 2 5k Update


If you read this post, you know I started the Couch 2 5k program at the beginning of August. Since I'm in the middle of the program now, I thought you might like an update.

Let me begin by saying that when I started, I could barely run/jog a minute and a half. My legs felt like they were made of led. I still remember feeling like I was going to die by the end of the first workout.

Well...I'm in the middle of week 6 now (I had to take a little time off to research a numb foot issue - but that's another story), and I am definitely impressed with the program. It works. I am also grateful to the Lord for continuing to give me the motivation to get up early (between 5:30 and 6) and do something for my health and for giving me the ability to move my legs. I thank Him every day as I'm exercising, and I think of all the people in the world who don't have the physical ability or the opportunity to do what I'm doing. I'm humbled by His favor and feel like not taking advantage of my God-given ability would be a waste.

So where am I now? I ran 20 minutes straight last Friday!! Yesterday's workout was a 5 minute warmup walk, run 5, walk 3, run 8, walk 3, run 5. I have to admit I thought it would be easy peasy when I started. Not so. I guess the fact that I could run 20 minutes Friday doesn't mean I can do it easily all the time. I better start getting used to it, though, because tomorrow's workout is the last one that involves any walking. After that, it will be running for 25, then 28, then finally 30 minutes.

When I started, I was not sure how I would ever be able to run 30 minutes straight, but I can say now that I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm a believer in this program. Every day is challenging but doable. And that's the key to a good workout, if you ask me.

Just in case you're wondering, I'm not 100% sure if I've lost weight as a direct result of this program, because I'm also cutting back on calories and working out at the gym. I do think the running is having an effect on my overall body shape, and I like it. As I run, I visualize the fat just falling off my thighs. It keeps me motivated, people! I will post another update at the end to let you know whether I'm done or moving on to couch 2 10k.

No comments:

Post a Comment