9.20.2011

Mid September Memory Verse

"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:14 (NIV, 84)

Yesterday, the girls were "helping me" put the groceries away. I was actually in the living room, feeding Josiah, and they were busy taking everything out of the bags and onto the counters. All the sudden I heard something bust on the floor. (Gosh, I hadn't even considered the fact that they are picking up breakable things...maybe it's not a good idea for them to put away the groceries. Dang it.)

I walk into the kitchen to see this:

What you don't see is the spaghetti sauce all over Elizabeth's white tennis shoes and the blood coming from Layla's ankle where a piece of glass went straight into her skin.

These are the moments when I just want to give up. The last thing I wanted to do was clean up this huge mess of spaghetti sauce and glass off the floor. Which would then be followed by putting up the rest of the groceries, fixing lunch, cleaning up a container of yogurt that Elizabeth would bust in a few minutes (after which I decided they are no longer allowed to help put away groceries, which stinks, because I kind of like the help), and the list goes on. Sometimes I feel like all I do is clean up messes. There are several messes that I need to clean up right now. Toys, food on the table, clothes, stuff in the hall. Goodness. You know what I'm talking about it. It's exhausting, and sometimes, I just want to give up.

That's why I need this verse. If you ever feel like I do, which I bet you do, that's why you need this verse. Let's commit it to memory.

"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:14 (NIV, 84)

In every case for me, the prize is bringing glory to God. In this case, I bring glory to God by loving my children and taking care of them, which in turn means I can't leave a broken jar of spaghetti sauce on the floor. I cannot give up. I must press on.

No comments:

Post a Comment